This content has been archived, and is no longer maintained by Indiana University. Information here may no longer be accurate, and links may no longer be available or reliable.
Office XP, released on July 1, 2001, upgraded and replaced Office 2000. For more information about Office XP, see:
Note: Individual Office XP applications are named Word 2002, Excel 2002, and so forth. Office XP does not include either Microsoft Publisher or Microsoft PhotoDraw.
The system requirements for Office XP Professional listed below are based on information available from Microsoft at:
Office XP will run on Windows 98, 98SE, Me, NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6 or later, 2000, and XP.
- Windows XP: Requires 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM for the operating system, plus an additional 8MB of RAM for each Office program (e.g., Word) running simultaneously
- Windows 2000 Professional: Requires 64MB of RAM for the operating system, plus an additional 8MB of RAM for each Office program (e.g., Word) running simultaneously
- Windows Me and Windows NT 4.0: Requires 32MB of RAM for the operating system, plus an additional 8MB of RAM for each Office program (e.g., Word) running simultaneously
- Windows 98 or 98SE: Requires 24MB of RAM for the operating system, plus an additional 8MB of RAM for each Office program (e.g., Word) running simultaneously
Hard disk space
Hard disk space requirements will vary depending on configuration; custom installation choices will determine the space needed. Listed below are the minimum hard disk requirements for Office XP suites:
- Office XP Standard: 210MB of available hard disk space
- Office XP Professional and Professional Special Edition: 245MB of available hard disk space
An additional 115MB is required on the hard disk where the operating system is installed. Users without Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, or Office 2000 Service Release 1 (SR-1) will need an extra 50MB of hard disk space for System Files Update.
Office XP Professional requires a Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution monitor with 256 colors.
You need a CD-ROM drive to install Office XP.
You need a mouse to use Office XP.
Requirements for speech recognition features
The speech recognition features of Office XP (available for US English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese only) require the following:
- A Pentium II 400MHz or higher processor
- 128MB or more of RAM
- A close-talk microphone
- An audio output device
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later